Friday, July 1, 2011

Rose Covered Raspberry Lemonade Cake

Mmm ... Doesn't it just look yummy? Sometimes you have an idea for a dessert and once executed it's not quite as good as you hoped. This one was perfect. And I have to tell you how it came about. I dreamed it. That's right. It came to me in a dream. I feel the need to give some background on that because I don't want you to think I'm crazy. I have VERY impressionable dreams. I'll dream about the craziest things, but also very day-to-day things. Sometimes I just dream an ordinary day. But most of the time it's crazy stuff. Anyway - last week someone had asked if I would bake a cake for a fundraiser and I guess I had pondered it a bit too much during the day, because my subconscious kept going that night. And then voila! Cake idea in the dream! A rose covered raspberry lemonade cake.

So you want to learn how you can make your own? I don't mind sharing!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lemon flavored cake mix
  • 1 WHITE "flavored" cake mix
  • 2 packages Betty Crocker Raspberry Gel Cake Flavoring (or whatever raspberry flavoring you can find)
  • 3 batches icing recipe*
  • 2 packages Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade Powdered Drink Mix
  • eggs
  • oil
  • LOTS of baking spray
Directions:
  • Mix the lemon cake mix as directed on the box and divide into 2-3 round cake pans. I like to use 3 so that the cakes cook more evenly, and plus you have more layers to put frosting on. :) Cook about 25 minutes or until done. Cool for approximately 5 minutes in the pan before inverting them on a wire rack.
  • Mix the white cake mix as directed, adding the raspberry flavoring. Cook the same as with the lemon cakes.
  • When your cakes are done and cooled to the touch, generously wrap them in a layer or saran wrap, and then foil and place them in the freezer until frozen. I usually leave them overnight. The good thing about putting them in the freezer is that it enables you to make the cakes in advance and then only have to decorate it the day of. And the crumb coat is so much easier!
  • When you're ready to start icing the cakes, prepare your raspberry lemonade frosting. Take your 3 batches of frosting and mix in 1 packet of the Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade drink mix. Taste it - see how you like it. If you want it stronger, add more. For my 3 batches I used 1.5 packets. It had a strong flavor but it wasn't overpowering. I wanted to make sure that it was a noticeable and distinguishable flavor.
  • Take your cakes out of the freezer. On whatever plate or cake stand you are using, but a generous glob of frosting and smear it around and then put your first cake layer down. ALWAYS put frosting down on your plate first so that your cake doesn't slide around or shift. Crumb coat the top of the first layer, and then add the rest of the layers alternating between lemon and raspberry, adding frosting between each layer. Once you have them all stacked up nice and neatly, crumb coat the sides of the cakes. It doesn't have to be perfect since it's all going to be covered, but you do want a nice coat on there.
  • To do the roses, you'll need a 1M tip and a pastry bag (you could use a ziploc bag, but pastry bags really do work better). Also, if you enjoy cake and cookie decorating, I would recommend getting some icing bag ties. They are brilliant at keeping the icing in the bags and not all over your hands. I followed the tutorial on I am Baker to do the roses. And it was SO EASY. The roses are a big impact, but they are quick and even if they are a bit messy, they still look great.




And that's all! Now you can make your own Rose Covered Raspberry Lemonade Cake! And when you do, invite me over for a slice. :)


*Basic Frosting Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
  • 1/2 butter softened (1 stick)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar (approximately 1 lb)
  • 2 tablespoons milk
Directions:
  • In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar one cup at a time scraping bowl often.
  • When all sugar has been mixed, it will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy - this could take up to 5 minutes.
  • Keep bowl covered with a DAMP towel until ready to use. Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering so much.
    I actually read the entire post two times because it looks so good! LOL. YUM!

    ReplyDelete